I am sure you read my post on Instagram/Facebook and are curious to know how I am trying to maintain harmony between the two arms of my work-life balance. Well, you may just go through the main pointers quickly to know what sets me right in my head. Or if you feel there is something more to hold you back here, please read in detail and try to implement in your routine. Believe me, it helps!!
1. Vision, goals & objectives – Have a vision for your future. Set your short-term & long-term goals around your vision. Plan realistic small steps to be taken to achieve your goals. The smaller accomplishments keep you motivated through the bigger goals.
2. Vision, goals & objectives – Have a vision for your future. Set your short-term & long-term goals around your vision. Plan realistic small steps to be taken to achieve your goals. The smaller accomplishments keep you motivated through the bigger goals.
3. Set your priorities – It is most important to know what really matters to you and set your priorities around the same. Once you have set clear goals and know your priorities right, create plans that help you achieve these goals. Also, be open to assessing and redirecting your needs to find a balance between work & personal life. Your kids might need your presence more than your work. On other days, you might have to slog hard at office leaving your kids behind at home or day-care.
4. Set up a routine – Having a daily routine is vital for work-life balance and gaining success in life. It helps you to keep work organized, stay on track and be more productive. To set up an effective routine, you need to know your peaks & troughs. Assign high-concentration tasks for the time when you are at your best. At your lows during the day, plan to keep tasks which need lesser efforts.
5.To-do list – Organizing tasks at work and at home are most essential to maintain a healthy work-life balance. Align your daily tasks with your priorities. Prepare a to-do list for a week to fulfil daily objectives. Focus on accomplishing 3-5 most important tasks every day. Allocate enough time for each task and be attentive to increase your efficiency. Delegate activities to others which you don’t enjoy or can’t handle alone. Make sure you do not overburden yourself with all the tasks in one day.
6. Do not multi-task – Say “no” to multi-tasking to reduce stress & improve efficiency. If you have clarity on what is essential in life, you tend to say a no to unimportant requests & tasks. This reduces your obligations leaving you with more time for the activities which are of utmost importance. While you are at work, do not think of the family and other issues. Similarly, leave work at work and get fully involved with the family while at home.
7. Take charge of mind & body – Running throughout the day for work and personal errands may leave you stressed out. The best way to destress is to focus on your mind and body. Physical exercise, meditation, good music, pursuing hobbies release endorphins which relieve stress and make you feel relaxed. Make sure you take adequate sleep to be able to function effectively.
8. Take a break – Take a break from the routine, find time for your family and friends, play with your kids, talk to your parents. Cook for them, have an uninterrupted conversation with kids once in a while. Unplug yourself from laptops, mobile phones & the internet to be able to live the present moment. Go on holidays with your friends or family. This will reset you to bounce back to work with that extra energy.
9. Set aside some Me-time – Make sure that the mundane routine does not kick in to take away your me-time. You can not pour from empty vessels for sure. Take out an extra hour – morning or evening depending on your routine. Exercise, read books, write journals or rekindle long lost hobbies. Do something every day for which you have passion and love. This recharges you for the day forward and restores the much-required balance.